Product Management ThreadsReading time: 1 min
This is a curated list of product management threads from Quora. The list comes from Baryy Clark
- Ian McAllister of Amazon defines what distinguishes the top 1% of product managers from the top 10%.
- Ian McAllister of Amazon talks about working backwards from the customer, including writing press releases in Oprah speak.
- Nick Barr of Canvas describes his workflow for writing a product requirements document for small, fast-moving companies.
- Jeff Eddings, previously of Google and StumbleUpon, cover some of the best metrics for a Product Manager to track. Ian McAllister of Amazon adds some great resources.
- Ian McAllister of Amazon and Adam Nash, Ex Ebay, LinkedIn and Greylock, explore the best ways to prioritize a product and feature list.
- Fareed Mosavat of Zynga explores why Engineers become Product Managers, looking at the 3 directions an engineer can go over the course of their career.
- Anup Cowkur of Y Media Labs uses Dilbert cartoons to break down things that Product Managers do that Engineers dislike.
Breaking Into Product Management
- Ian McAllister of Amazon talks about transitioning into product management using the role change two-step.
- Rakesh Agrawal of reDesign Mobile covers some frequently asked questions in product manager interviews. Also see Kenneth Norton of Google’s masterpost on the same subject.
- Sandeep De, ex TD Ameritrade and Geico talks about the first to do if you just joined a company as a product manager, including developing a 30-60-90day plan.
- Scott Owens of Salesforce and Venkatesh Rao, author of Tempo, describe the day in the life of a Product Manager.
- Lots of people chime in on must read books for Product Managers.